View Single Post
Old 08-16-07, 03:23 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Pinyon
Wow. Full contact posting. Okay...I'm going to respond to Historian, but this is not meant in any way to be taken as a dig or further chest-thumping or other male vertibrate dominance behavior.
Please. Such restraint is welcome.

I still believe that people can have different set points for weight. It depends a lot on your genetics and on what your physical activity of choice is. Not just whether or not you exercise, but what you do when you exercise. Marathon racers are not always born as lean as they become after years of racing. They get that small because it is the most efficient way for their bodies to do that activity. Likewise, there are not that many power lifters that bench press over 500 lbs that weigh under 270 lbs or so (it happens, but is rare). I've known people from both sports that have around 10% body fat, but have a 100+ pound weight difference between them (but most power lifters find it hard to get below 12-13% body fat). The combination of your personal genetics, activity choices, what you eat, etc. will determine your "set point". If you significantly change the type of exercise that you do, then your body will change accordingly to a new one.
Again agreeing with my post.

I seriously disagree that losing weight and keeping it off is as simple as you make it sound for a vast majority of people.

I don't recall I've ever said it was simple. The math is simple. But so is algebra, and many folks, including me, can't do that.

I've lost a lot of weight before, and gained it all and then some back over the period of a couple of years. I've personally known hundreds of people that have had the same problem. Losing weight is not the problem for many. Keeping it off FOREVER is the hard part. But what do I know? I know that you've lost 145 lbs, but I lost about 180 lbs, and kept it all off for over a year so far. I know that would sound more convincing if I had kept it off for 5 or more years, but this time has been the easiest for me maintenance-wise.
I wasn't trying to get into a "anything you can lose, I can lose more of" contest. I addressed your comment that people here didn't understand what was involved with weight loss. That does appear to be the source of my problems in the forum lately. Silly me keeps responding to what people write, instead of something else.

Maybe "just eat less and exercise more" and "use common sense" works for some people. For those of us that have emotional issues with food, that just won't work. Maybe we are too sensitive, and need to be mentally hand-held and brainwashed to be successful? Maybe so. But I'd rather be alive and doing what I want to do with my non-macho emotional self, than trying to be something that I'm not. No John Wayne here. Sorry. Is there room on this forum for us overweight versions of Woody Allen or Jimmy Stewart that also like to bicycle? I hope so.
The Jimmy Stewart of Harvey, or the Jimmy Stewart of Vertigo? :-) As for John Wayne, Uncadan has that one covered - he reminded me of the Duke the first time I met him.