View Single Post
Old 08-17-07, 06:42 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have an old Moulton Stowaway --that's the separable model-- that I got on ebay. It came with surprisingly light all-steel components, and the gearing was a single speed coaster brake hub. The rims are 16 x 1 3/8 like Brompton. I've upgraded it now, with all aluminum alloy components, including an SA-8 hub and an SA drum-brake-dynamo hub in front, and the result doesn't seem a whole lot lighter than it was. I have not weighed it! I have not found any effective rear brake; the reach is a bit long, but that probably isn't the whole story. Thankfully the drum brake gives me all the stopping power I need. The bike feels very sturdy, and I feel confident riding it fast, bunny hopping speed bumps, etc. The full suspension is effective, and I like the comfort of the ride, but the steering is very jumpy; cannot ride no-hands, so I am more or less stuck in one position while riding, which I don't like so well. But I am not convinced I've set up the bike to fit me just right; haven't found a handlebar / stem combination that I like... and so on.

As for separability vs foldability... I can take the frame apart and put it in the back of the car, and have done a few times, but it's a bit of a chore and involves an 8mm allen wrench... it is nowhere as simple as folding up a Strida or a Downtube Mini, and I find it more convenient to commute on the latter most of the time.

As for the look... well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? It's sure an odd looking beastie, and the small wheels tend to make the whole bike look unusually large. The beauty of the thing, to me, is that it just looks so functional.