View Single Post
Old 08-18-07, 07:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,180 Posts
Ti was the dream material of the 90's, carbon is the new millennium

I have a Heron steel (853), a Lemond Victorie Titanium (Reynolds) and lust after a C-Dale Carbon

I've put about 7,000 miles on the Lemond, which was a warranty replacement for a Klein with a broken seatpost welded clamp. It was a good deal at the time at $750 and is a nice ride. The biggest complaint is the crappy paint job from Trek, the original paint started chipping a year in, the replacement paint is now peeling under sweat stains. So don't EVER buy a painted Ti bike as the paint process is iffy at best.

The C-Dale Synapse I rode (A buddies new ride) is stiff in the b-bracket, where the Lemond is not, yet is still as comfortable over bumps and is a great handling bike. My buddies other rides are a Lemond steel and a C-Dale aluminum time trial bike (which he hates). He too is impressed with the C-Dale Synapse, having tried carbon Trek's, Pinarellos, Lokk and and Orbeas (He found the Orbea way too stiff) and ultimately found the fit of the C-Dale closely matching his Lemond.

Would I buy a titanium again ?. No. No point really as I'm not concerned about the bike lasting 30 years, as it would probably be replaced long before then.

Meantime, the Heron steel rolls along... It's got some rust spots, but nothing to worry about.

SB