Old 03-01-02, 10:11 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I attempted the tour from Vancouver to Mexico along the coast in summer '99 with a friend. Unfortuantely we rode really hard and i had already done lots of XC training and developed tendonitis in my right knee and only made it to southern Washington... but my friend rode all the way to Mexico and loved it.

I think the book you have is the one with the route details along th coast - written by a couple i think - anyway, i think it's the same one we had and what we based our trip on although we/my friend did many more miles per day (about 90-100 which is a lot with full gear).. there's restaraunts and bike shops along the way if you need them...

anyway, there are tons of camping places along the way. i carried a Bob trailer and a small tent and sleeping bag and cook set, although i wish i had taken less...

the route is great and pretty well set up and all that... it was made an official route some time in the late 70s or early 80s and although it hasn't been 100% maintained, there are still lots of signs and special bike lanes or paths or crossing for bikes...

the route along the coast is NOT very hilly although if you do any inland tours it can be.

i can't remeber exactly, but i think my friend finished in a little over 2 weeks - but hauling *** and riding hard every day - i think Seattle to SF should be 6-15 days, but use the book to figure out - averaging 40 miles along the coast is easy, but 80 is tough and 100 or more is brutal... (i mean self-supported with gear)

the route is great and the scenery is great and you'll definitely meet some other riders along the way. it's not crowded or anything, but there are other people doing the same. My friend hooked up with 2 riders from Canada after i had to cut out b/c of my knee.

i totally recommend the trip - i think it's probably one of the best long distance tours in the US b/c it'S relatively flat but also interesting AND it has factilties for food and overnight (i.e. you don't go through the middle of nowhere)

for other types of trips, there are s few mountain bike routes set up - like the continental trail trip - which are supposed to be cool. many of these are gravel/fire roads but a few of the new ones have a lot of single track - of course, food and facilites are a problem

have fun - sounds like a great trip! (i'm planning a 7-10 day Alp crossing trip on mostly single-track trails this summer!)