Old 08-19-07, 03:41 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I spent alot on parts but I ride almost everyday since I my bike is my car. While to some it is a foolish thing to do, I feel that when you buy parts that are quality and last, it outweighs the cost after a while. Also I feel that the cost of a bike can't compare to the maintenance of car. There is no insurance, gas, or expensive parts you have to replace. I figure that in a year you can buy 2 or more bike with the amount you spend on a car. I saved over $500 dollars last school year by riding my bike almost everyday by not riding the bus (mind you bus fair was $1.75 not $2.00) so this went into buying parts. You get a workout, have fun, get where you need to go, and contribute less to the Earth's pollution.

Cannondale: This is my main ride now that I have a brake on it

Frame - $650 (but came complete with full Suntour Superbe Grupo)
Aerospokes - $225 front (off ebay), $325 rear ($550)
Time Attack XS pedals - $56 (off ebay)
Carbon Fork Special - $150 (came with HS, spacers, stem, and time trial levers)
Brake - $20
Brooks Pro - $62 (off ebay new)
Total - $1488

Conversion: This is my do it all bike and lockup bike
]

Some parts were a transfer from my 1st fixie (saddle, cranks, stem)
Frame - $200 (brand new)
HS - $50
Front Deep V - $72 with a hub transfer from old wheel ($42 for rim, $30 for labor)
Rear Deep V - $175 ($45 for formula hub, $70 for rim, $60 for spokes and labor)
Total - $497

Zullo (Old Davy) is getting sold and all parts on it were a transfer of parts from the other frames
Complete - $350 (Campy Record Hubs and Crankset)

My first Fixie that got me started but is no more due to a frame dent from a crash - $400 off ebay

Pac Bag: This is what I consider to complete my "car" so this is my "trunk" and I feel it is a worthy investment. It does all my heavy duty carrying and has worked very well.

http://flickr.com/photos/7435668@N07...7600192753850/
$400

Grand Total - $3135

There still is more $ involved due to other parts bought as well but there has been a mix of trades and selling involved as well.

Base price of a decent used car (excluding gas and insurance) - $3,000-$5,000

So that's my excuse for spending so much even though you get alot back as well.

Last edited by Gyeswho; 08-20-07 at 09:18 AM.