Old 06-21-04, 04:27 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
If it was not so cheap, I never would have purchased it....with bikes or any other product there is a point of deminishing returns...People buy Hummers for God's sakes so that prooves that money and sense do not go hand-in-hand.
OK, so all of that said, you understand economics and have a some issues with regard to the inequities of life.

Considering the components on your tandem were made in Japan, I don't see how you can have and issue with the frame being from Asia.
Why do you assume I have any issue with Asian-made bicycle compoments. I stated simple facts regarding sourcing and pricing that has a bearing on the cost of production without any implications on quality. Give your politics a rest... I don't believe I've suggested at any point in this thread what my particular preferences may be.

As for Asian-sources components, you got me there... the cassette (Shimano), drive chain (Shimano), seat posts (Easton carbon), and inner tubes (generic) come from Asia. My Campy shifters, derailleurs and brakes, are still made in Italy, my daVinci cranks are made in Colorado, my Specialties TA rings are made in France, my White Industry, Phil Wood, & Chris King hubs are made in California, my RaceFace, Erickson & Phil Wood BB's are made in North America, the Velocity Rims are made in Australia, the DT spokes are made in Switzerland, the tires come from Denmark, the handlebars are Italian as are the seats.

They buy them because they want them, and they can (maybe) afford them....does not make them any faster...
Well, duh, which is why I wrote: "So, in the end, you buy to meet your needs or -- perhaps in the case of high-end sporting goods and bicycles -- your desires."

The fact is, when it comes to bikes, as always, the performace is in the rider, not the bike.
Well double duh.

You sound like a tandem snob.
Really? How so? Have I ridiculed anyone for what they ride or suggested that it isn't a "real tandem"? Have I tried to make a case for one brand over another based on the less expensive model being inferior? Have I suggested that you have to spend a lot of money to extract enjoyment or performance from a tandem? If I have, it must have been subconscious because I don't ever recall talking down to value-conscious buyers or otherwise providing anything other than data that I am aware of or have access to. Or, are you simply stereotyping me as a snob because I happen to be a high-end tandem owner -- who enjoys sharing information regarding the activity with others in the hope that they too will become enthusiast.

Bottom Line: If you want to buy a value-based tandem and have found one that meets your "needs" then go ahead and do it. At this point, and based on your threads, it would appear you are merely looking for reinforcement of your decision -- despite the fact that you've already made up your mind.

BTW, if you look hard enough you'll find a killer deal on a NOS or barely used high-end tandem every now and again. However, since there is only 1 tandem built for every 100,000 regular bikes, it's a pretty small pool to swim in.

Last edited by livngood; 06-21-04 at 05:13 PM.