Old 08-20-07, 05:34 AM
Wheelchairman
Bendigo Youth Racing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
ok, all finished, gel coat dry and electrical border tape removed. The repaired area is not perfectly finished like the rest of the bike of course. I would have to spend hours and hours buffing. I'd rather spend hours riding. I think by adding the electrical tape both top and bottom of the repaired area, it defines the area with a slightly different finish, but at the same time looks like it may have been intended to be that way by someone else looking at the bike.
What you should've done with the electrical tape, after applying the wetted-out carbon fibre weave to the area, was turn it sticky side up and wrapped the dry side to the surface of the wet area.
It forces the epoxy deep into the weave and all those vital scratches on the repaired area. It also forces air pockets out of the job, leaving a much more compact and stronger repair, and forcing the edge of the carbon strips hard agaisnt the original surface, meaning less chance of de-lamination of the cured surface. Excess, unneeded resin also exits the area.
If you havent went overboard with resin (repair area and both sides of the carbon should be wet out fully yet lightly) then all you would have to sand is tiny tape marks. If you have overdone it with the resin then you'll find the tape simply bulges and stretches as it can't get the resin out quick enough, resulting in a rippled area that needs much sanding. Tip for next time I guess.....

EDIT: I've gotta say, I never get sick of looking at lowracers. You own an amazing piece of machinery, lowracer1

Last edited by Wheelchairman; 08-20-07 at 05:47 AM.