View Single Post
Old 08-21-07, 10:37 AM
NoCom3_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on the amount of tape used and the size of the area wrapped. If adhesive side down on a small surface repair, all the excess resin will not leak out of the edges. Pin holes in the tape are similar to perforated film and allow for more resin to escape.

However, the strongest repairs are made by vacuum bagging.

Do you know anything about using peelply for construction or repair? I get the impression that peelply leaves a clean surface that requires no additional finishing.

There is some brief info listed here about peelply but I'd like to find out more about it.
http://www.blids.nl/gallery/Carbon-R...-Workshop-2004

AA

Originally Posted by Wheelchairman
If you're needing to punch holes in your tape, then you've used too much resin. The edges of the tape are all that should be needed for resin to escape. Plus, by taping you're trying to replicate the characteristics of a vacuum bag repair, albiet with less effective resin extraction. By putting holes in your tape you are simply weakening the tape and thus it stretches, meaning some of the pressure vital to extraction is gone.
True, but the sticky side is always the sticky side, regardless what its been exposed to (in this job). I know what I'd choose if I wanted to make life slightly easier.