Thread: 3 Speed Hub
View Single Post
Old 08-21-07, 06:18 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
3 Speed Hub

Hello,

I am having a 3 speed wheel built. I acquired a Sturmey Archer 3 speed wheel a while back, but it had a 26 inch rim. I took the wheel to the bike pro shop today and asked the shop owner to build a 20 inch wheel with this hub.
The shop owner looked it over , put a magnet to it to determine it was steel, and then he called Raleigh, on the phone, and asked a few questions. He said the hub was built in the past few years.

I only paid $40.00 for the "bike", which was a collection of parts that included this hub. The Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub alone is worth more than forty dollars.

So I had this wheel sitting around, but the "parts didn't add up to a whole bike.

I got the idea that I could have the hub relaced with a 20 inch rim.

As for the model #, I believe it's AWC. It has a coaster brake built in, which is good, because the downhill use is a strain on the vee-brakes.

Oh, shoot, I forgot to show you all a picture of the bike it's going on.
Let me open a new window and fetch the URL...

Here it is:

and another:

My question is, do you think I'll have any problem fitting a 3 speed wheel on a BMX frame?
The frame has 14 mm dropouts and the current wheel is 3/8ths, and uses adapters, which I'll have to re-use.

Wish me luck, I hope everything goes smoothly.
I have said I would paint this bike black. But I would have to take all the lights off, so I don't know if I will...

If you have been following the progress of this project, you know I replaced the 12v12ah battery with a 12v7ah, which saves weight. I have also added 12 volt blinkers; amber on the front, and blue on the rear. The front blinkers are mounted on a slice of 1/4" aircraft plywood mounted to the botom of the battery rack/fairing mount. But these changes took place since I photographed the bike.

My main concern is ; will the axle be long enough, because the frame is aluminum (Diamondback built a 6061 BMX frame in 2000 and I bought one) and the dropouts are very thick, and have adapters?

The gear ratio (from the Sturmey Archer spec sheet):
1st gear .075
2nd gear 1.0
3rd gear 1.33
-------------------
The bike shop owner also said that his Grandson just opened an indoor skateboard park in Texas, which is cool, in more ways than one, because it's air-conditioned.