Sheik Yerbouti

Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fox Valley Combo River/Bike Path

Rode north out of St. Charles this afternoon. Barely got into South Elgin before the trail and the river were the same thing. The trail just disappeared as it went into the water of the over-the-banks Fox. Guess the first clue should have been a fish that jumed up next to me as I was riding through the woods just a mile or so north of town. I looked down and realized there was water on both sides right up to the edge of the trail. And then where you're on street for a block or two there were houses not on the river but in the river, with water on alll sides, playsets in back "yards" 50 feet from any dry land. And one family filling sand bags in there front yard, while Mom and Dad stacked them around the base of the not-yet-flooded house. Glad I live on a hill!
Took the cutoff towards Randall Road, which was a bit muddy and some puddles, including one I discovered too late was about a foot deep. Managed to pedal through (it was muddied crushed limestone at this point). Rode the rest of the way with soaked shoes and socks. So...tried heading south on the trail after riding back from Randall. Only got as far as Geneva before the trail was closed at Island Park.