Old 08-22-07, 06:50 AM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
People tolerate it because it is expensive and a waste of resources to chase after these people and put them through the court/prison system. Honestly i would rather the police put there time toward violent offenders. Maybe it would be different if this country tried to look at the drug problem as a public health issue instead of a criminal one.

Basically, I agree with you. I really do. But. . . open, public heroin use is a police problem, and the crime that inevitably follows is a police problem.

Ward's/Randall's Island is a popular picnic and sports spot for New Yorkers (from some of the poorer neighborhoods in the city). Lots of people walk, with small children, over that bridge to get from Manhattan to the island. What's going to happen when those junkies need a few bucks for the next fix? The junkie will quite likely turn into a violent offender. He/she will grab a purse, threaten someone, and so on.

By all means, let's put an end to addiction using the public health system. But let's keep the city's parks and streets safe for the people of the city at the same time.