View Single Post
Old 08-22-07, 07:10 AM
meb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
I did a little digging on the Internet and the only information I could find on armband headlight/taillight combos was a reference in RoadBikeReview.com's archives from 2001 to a Castelli arm band light:

"Castelli or similar arm band light Mike
Sep 3, 2001 8:10 PM Co. Cyclist sells a Castelli arm band light for $35. Is there anyone out there who has this or a similar (less expensive?) light and can fill me in on how well it works? Thanks

What do you want a light to do? MB1
Sep 4, 2001 7:33 AM Arm or leg mounted lights don't light the road well and are invisible from most directions. They might be ok as a third light for commuters that is about it. If you are just trying to get the smallest light to make you legal there are cheaper ways to do it. If you are thinking safety, forget this light."

When I searched for Castelli, most of the sites were for Castelli apparel and in non-english. Perhaps the ebayer had misidentified it and it should be a leg band light. When you think about it, an armband headlight would be impractical. However, a leg band headlight would make more sense, though not much more. Searching for "leg band lights" brought up a bunch of those crappy sites that try to make money from somebody clicking on their links, but no real helpful information.
I have a HPV Corsa recumbent trike and with all the fiberglass body, it's hard to find any place to mount lights so it could be used at night.

Also, I ride a lot in wooded trails and riverfront trails and its nice to have a directable light -especially witih concerns of fallen trees over the trails or deer jumping out in front of you. Be nice to have something for nighttime nature viewing.

Also it'd be nice to have a quick spare to grab with fresh batteries before going on the long trip.