Old 08-22-07, 06:33 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by syn0n
Around here, people lane change the second they see a bus. Most of the non Rapid Ride stops are pretty inconspicuous so it's hard to tell where the bus is going to stop and they're incredibly slow. Because they're tall and most are a teal-green color, they're really easy to see so people usually merge left pretty soon.

Cyclists can be more difficult to see and most drivers usually will come up behind you and go a little ways into the left lane when it's safe to give passing room. I've never been buzzed around here, and drivers usually are good about making the lane change. Most of our roads are 5 lanes in the city area, and the 3 lane roads that have a lot of cyclists are mainly around the university and downtown area where speeds are low and pedestrians abundant, so drivers are much more vigilant.

I think drivers are usually less upset by cyclists and pedestrians than they are busses here. I guess this has a lot to do with the fac that there aren't many cyclists outside of the metro area, where traffic is horrendous and the speed limits are low.
Remember, the question wasn't about the treatment of cyclists no matter where they are positioned. The question was specifically about lane-centered cyclists.