Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R600DuraAce
Not exactly feasible to drink 6 bottles of water in a race. I did hydrate well before the race because I constantly had to go to pee. Fortunately the weather was cool. In a race like this one you just have to tough it out.
You can carry 2 on the frame, and 1 or 2 more in your jersey. I've got a 68 mile roadrace this sunday. I'm dreading it, thankfully it will be flat, but it is going to be 92 degrees. UGH.

Everyone is different for sure. I know that on a long day, I may not be able to absorb fluids at the rate im losing them.

I am a firm believer in hydration and performance. Earlier in the Season, I was racing well, usually until there was about 15 minutes, to go, and it wasn't that the pace picked up, I was just totally dry.

I spent a good hour or so, riding around town, watching the Tour of Georgia depart, then went and warmed up etc. Didn' drink enough, and despite launching attacks on the hill the last couple of laps, when there was 1 to go, I couldn't get up and go at all. Afterwards I drank more then a gallon of water before we got back to the hotel, and I still couldnt pee.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a combined mens 4/5 circuit race, with 48 racers. It was 99 degrees and extrememly humid, I started drinking fluids the night before, all the next morning, and I actually had to take a leak twice while warming up on the course. To make a long story short, I attacked with 2 laps to go (4.6 miles), some other guy came across, and the two of us made the break stick, sort of. He was caught by the field on the finishing straight and finished 13th, but I was able to wind it up to 32 plus for the last 500 yards or so and held off for the win. (and $100.00)! Had i not been properly hydrated, I would have never even gotten away.