Thread: slow rider
View Single Post
Old 06-25-04, 05:43 AM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my two cents and it's what helps me: "hypoglycemic" means you have too low a blood sugar or that you are having insulin surges. You DO want some carbs in you...yes, you do...especially on a long, sustained ride. I've bonked before (as just a recreational rider) and it ain't fun, believe me.

Even on shorter rides, I do this: carry along snacks such as granola bars, fig bars, bananas, pb&j sammiches, fruit bits. Snarf some of this every 30"-60". Drink plenty of water (some sips every 20") and carry along some Gatorade (replenishes your electrolytes, especially if you're sweating a lot or it's hot). One bottle of each with ice. THEN I also use GU and ClifShot gels. Started this after bonking. When I feell weak, I snarf one of these with water. Great flavors are banana, Sonic Strawberry, Mocha Mocha. I use one before I start the ride and take in one for each hour of riding on long slow trips (20+ miles) and one for each 30" if I am just out for a brisk (12-17mph is brisk to me) fitness ride of 10-12 miles, like after work when I'm on a tight schedule.

Key here in all this is keeping your blood sugar level and not having it drop suddenly to lows...steady intake of these suggested items will help. Also, at the end of the ride, I snarf one last gel to replenish my carb level.

As for speed, it's over-rated IMHO. Ride for pleasure and adventure at YOUR own pace. Stop whenever you feel like it and enjoy the ride. These speed demon fitness freaks probably won't be riding in 5 years after they burn out. Tour/recreational cyclists got it right: if it ain't fun, don't do it! Glad you dumped the loser...you deserve better! Ride on, sister!!!