Old 08-26-07, 11:02 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too hate leaving a race knowing that I don't need a recovery ride the next day. On days like those, I feel like I might as well have sent my check to the race director a week in advance, with "Pro/1/2 Prize List" in the memo blank.

So, in recognition of my hatred for pack sprints and my "make the break or die trying" idiocy, my teammates and I share the money from our races.

This is how it plays out:
1) My break goes up the road, they block, breaks sticks.
2) My break blows up, gets reeled in, and I reload and try again. Burn energy, waste W's. Make people chase and burn matches they can't afford. I know I'm not going to be sprinting for the top 5. This plays into the hands of 3).
3) Field is tired, and the sprinters who have spent more energy than my sprinter (who is faster than most) are pretty much F---ed. If I'm still able, I'll lead out, and then try to hop into his draft, and then soft pedal. Act as a "sweeper", for those familiar with the term. Picture Burghardt backing Ventoso off the break (specifically his teammate Hammond, and Freire) with less than a kilo to go at Ghent-Wevelgem this year. (minus me coming back around for the win...)

I.e.: It pays to have teammates or VERY good friends in the races with you.