Old 08-28-07, 10:42 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Have you ever slept with a hammock? I would nix that idea. One of the worst nights I ever spent was trying to sleep on a hammock. First, you body is bent in a curve rather than straight. Second, it gets much colder with air circulating all around you. So you would need a warmer sleeping bag, which would negate any weight savings from the hammock. Third, you can't always find a tree or post to hang a hammock from (ever driven across the Great Plains?).

I've also done a lot of backpacking. As others mentioned, you don't have to worry about carrying much food on your bicycle. But you do have to carry adequate supplies of water. A CamelBak may be an option in addition to water bottles, although I don't think I would want something on my back if riding all day, day after day.

Look for lightweight clothing that can be easily washed and dried. That will really save you a lot of bulk.
Apparently you didn't use a Hennessey Hammock. These have a very loyal following and are actually quite comfortable. You lay flat in one, not bent. There are products to help with cool temperatures that don't come close to tent+sleeping bag+sleeping pad weights. Besides, in summer months, the cooling effect can be beneficial.

Hammocks aren't perfect and have their drawbacks, but they are a viable alternative to the traditional tent.