Old 08-31-07, 09:43 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Hilleberg Staika two-person tent (photos)

In another tent thread I was asked to take photos of our Hilleberg Staika being setup. It happened that I was camping with 10 other bicycle tourers that weekend so this was no problem at all.

This tent is by far the best one I've found for our needs. I bought it two summers ago, following two years of considering products worldwide; every tent I could find. At this point my wife and I have used it extensively on bicycle tours and other trips.

Here are the attributes I’ve come to greatly appreciate, and have only found together in the Hilleberg Staika:

1) Very strong geodesic hexagonal design. Utilizing 3 10mm diameter poles of equal length. Let that wind blow.
2) Completely freestanding; though it can be staked out for added strength in bad weather.
3) The entire tent goes up in one piece. This keeps the inner tent dry even if the Staika is being erected in a downpour. An unexpected plus to this design: I've had to pack it away soaked in a waterproof pannier for five hours of riding. Only to set it up in a new camp finding the inner tent body *completely* dry!! Not a fluke as I've now packed it away wet numberous times with the same result.
4) Long, two-person inner tent body with two doors. 91" / 230cm long inner tent.
5) Fully adjustable venting through the tent body. Using no-seeum mesh/cloth panels that run from low on the tent body to overhead.
6) Plenty of storage area. Two big vestibules of equal size that can be accessed easily while laying down in the tent.
7) Venting right through the top of the tent body and rainfly, even in the rain! This is a huge plus that I’ve only on some Hillebergs.
8) Directionally opposed doors allow for cross-flow circulation through the tent, regardless of if the wind is coming from the north, south, east or west.
9) Incredible attention to detail and handmade by one person in Europe. The person’s name comes on a small tag attached to the tent body.
10) At 7.4 pounds, the Staika is light given its size, heavy-duty construction and capabilities.
11) Great worldwide customer support by the Hilleberg family themselves.

Here's the setup sequence:

Tent taken out of pannier and dropped on groundcloth. Three 10mm equal length poles.

Insert pole into partial pole sleeves.

Clip the pole in across the rest of the tent.

After inserting the second pole you're working on a freestanding structure.

Basically done. All that's left is attaching the vent cover which allows the tent to vent through the top even in a downpour. First let's take a closer look.

I've opened a door and clipped it back.

A look at the top of the tent showing the closed vents and weather protection for the door zippers.

Opened vent. The tent body can be opened here too but as is, it allows direct upward flow through no-seeum mesh.

Another angle of the door and vestibule. The door on the other side faces in the opposite direction, away from us. The door orientation is what allows for cross flow air circulation regardless of wind direction. Vent cover going on in this shot. Simple to install and what allows for the vents to stay open in the rain.

In use in Alaska along side another bike touring couple's Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT

If I start solo touring I'll likely buy the Hilleberg Unna which is a 1+ person tent designed in a similar way as the Staika. I'm really sold on the venting through the top of the tent.

Here's Hilleberg's website for those interested. http://www.hilleberg.com/

Tailwinds,

Last edited by Miles2go; 09-03-07 at 07:18 PM.