View Single Post
Old 09-01-07, 07:28 PM
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I've been waiting patiently over a year for a nice lugged steel MTB frame in my size to appear for $20 at a yard sale, or on craigslist...but no such luck!

So, when this '91 Trek 800 - the bottom of the barrel - popped up on CL for $10, I figured it would make a great winter beater. I'm also very uptight about riding anything of value on the local trails (Allamuchy, NJ...nothing but rocks, roots and mud pits). But now I can finally ride them with abandon!

I spent a total of $80 on the build, including a new seatpost, crankset, tires, brake pads and used Deore DX thumb shifters. I traded a frame for the wheelset: Araya RM-20 rims laced to Deore DX hubs (they ride very nicely indeed!) The rest was cobbled together from parts I had in the bin: Deore XT FD, Alivio cantis, stem, bars and levers from another 90s Trek, Exage 300 LX RD. The only original parts are the headset and seatpost binder.

Despite the high tensile fork and stays, and the plain gauge CrMo tubes, I don't think the ride is heavy, sluggish or sloppy. But then, I've mountain biked so little, what the hell would I know?

Last edited by JunkYardBike; 09-01-07 at 07:54 PM.