View Single Post
Old 09-02-07, 09:15 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder
Last night I took the wheels off for a good cleaning and found the number 77 stamped on the outboard rr derailleur side dropout, so I guess that answers my question.
That "77" doesn't date the bike - those Colnago dropout stamped number are notoriously indecipherable. I do think it's late 70's, based on the graphics and frame details. So it could plausibly be '77, but that would be coincidental vis a vias the dropout stamp. If the scalloped seatstay caps do not say Colnago in them, that would be another clue that the bike is mid-to-late 70's.
BTW, that's a very nice Colnago - those pre-1980 Colnagos are beginning to creap up in value as the earlier ones become more rare, despite the fact that that is a period when Colnago was notoriously experiencing quality control issues as they subed more frames to meet increasing demand.