gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Methane is not the problem. Methane is the release of carbon that had been temporarily sequestered by plants. That carbon would be released on the death of the plant even if it wasn't consumed by a cow, chicken or pig.

The biggest problems with meat production has to do with the monoculture production of their feed, mostly corn and soybeans. These crops are farmed with intensive use of petroleum-derived fertilizers and toxic pesticides. Then of course, both crops and meat are transported long distances by truck or train. Another issue is that animals raised this way suffer throughout much of their short lives. Finally, many people believe that the meat raised this way is unhealthy for the humans who eat it.

If you'll re-read my post, which you're responding to, I mentioned fuel used in transport is only one of the environmental problems associated with meat production. Besides being locally grown, I suggested that people should try to buy meat that is organically fed and that's pastured rather than caged or fed in a feedlot.
Roody, I thought methane is a better greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. I mean it traps more heat so has a stronger effect. So, if the plant gets burned we get carbon dioxide but as cow farts its worse until the methane decomposes to carbon dioxide. Isn't that why the permafrost melting is such a concern?

Last year I splurged on some buffalo meat, totally grass fed and raised within a few hundred miles. It was expensive but very tasty. I followed the farmer's directions. I used to work with a hunter who would give away extra meat. Again, this non- grain fed meat was very tasty. I wonder if grass fed beef would use less land than grain fed? When I traveled around south asia it seemed that the towns there had a different system. The cows ate the garbage. Then the citizens collected the dung for fuel. The dried dung made an acrid smoke. It seems that the process could be improved by converting the dung to methane for fuel and using the remains for fertilizer for the fields making a more closed cycle and improving air quality. That was years ago, maybe today they have modernized and use landfills and factory farms and gotten the cows off the streets and made people purchase gas to cook with.