View Single Post
Old 09-06-07, 10:40 AM
Hoz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What am I doing wrong? (rant)

I have had two altercations with drivers in as many days. The first I was riding to the right in the right lane on a major 4 lane artery. The early morning traffic isn't non stop but comes in waves, with spaces of calm between. During one of these "waves" a work truck pulled up on my rear and lays on his horn. I keep to the right (not in the gutter though) and motion him to pass. After some more honking he passes with a vengeance, very close and honking again. As luck would have it I caught up to him at the next light and asked "What's the problem?" A short argument ensued where he said I should not be on the road during morning rush hour. I replied that I was cycling legally and that he needs to be very careful around cyclists. and give us a minimum of 3 foot clearance. By now the light had changed and he roared off shouting "NO WAY!"

Then this morning on another 4 lane artery I am close passed by a Ford 350 diesel PU. .The driver gets caught at the next light and is in the far right lane which is a mandatory right turn with signs and arrows and all that stuff there. (Sorry Arlo). There is a long line waiting so I filter up between cars to the light as I usually do and as I pass his truck he guns the engine and pulls slightly across the line to either try and scare me or hit me. I shout "watch it!" and continue to the front, knowing all the cars behind and to my right are turning right.

The light changes and I stand in the pedals to cross and gain the empty right hand lane when the truck doesn't turn right but comes across the intersection and almost clips me! Honking all the while.

By this time I'm p"ed off and flip him the bird, making sure he knows what I mean. He starts slowing in traffic like it's show down time but it's rush hour he can't really stop. I got the first 3 numbers of his license plate but he decides not to stop and takes off.

2x, 2 days. I'm getting a bad taste.