View Single Post
Old 09-07-07, 11:33 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by dietrologia
There's a short stretch of road that I commute on daily with one shoulderless lane in each direction, a double-yellow line dividing them. If I stay to the far right, I get squeezed and buzzed. The more aggressive I get taking the lane, the more I get squeezed and buzzed, but with a liberal sprinkling of honks and hand guestures.
What's the most "aggressive" you get taking the lane? I've found that using the right tire track can often be just as bad as staying a foot from the road edge (although sometimes those are one and the same). My lane position is an all or nothing deal. I'm either dead center in the lane or I'm not in the lane at all. If a motorist will have to put their tires over the centerline or lane line on the road in order to pass me at a safe distance (determined by speed or traffic level), I'm in the center of the lane making it absolutely clear that I am do not want anyone else in my lane with me. I so rarely get close passed that I have to believe that I must be doing something right