View Single Post
Old 09-07-07, 03:08 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
I always knew I was different . Learned how to drive on a stick shift. Have no problems with DT shifters, stem shifters, brifters.

East Hill
My kinda girl. Could you give my wife lessons? So last winter there was a big snow storm. My wife wanted ice cream from the local store a block away. I told her it wasn't safe to drive, the roads were really bad and snow was piling up. She insisted and took my 4x4 truck with the stick. She was gone for like an hour. When she came back I heard the front door open, then I smelled something burnt. And I was sitting in the den! I walked outside and stood on the porch and the smell of burned cookies almost knocked me over. I got in the truck and tried to start it but the clutch would not go in. Finally I got it into neutral and it cranked over. If I did that and then popped it into gear I could get it moving but that's about it. She had gotten stuck and tried to rock herself out and totally fried the clutch. Cost me $1100 to get it fixed!

And she always tells me she only rode single speed beach cruisers growing up and has no idea what to do with gears (nor apparently any interest in learning). <sigh>