View Single Post
Old 09-07-07, 04:50 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Derailleurs and chain drive are so wonderfully mechanically efficient that they set the bar real high. Whatever is going to supplant them (and I have no doubt that will happen someday) is going to have to be very mechanically efficient even during it's early development.
Actually they aren't that far apart. IIRC the total efficiency spread between an internal gear and a dérailleur was only around 3% and quite often in certain gears the dérailleur was less efficient than the IGH. And quite often there are greater losses from wind resistance, riding style, low tire pressures, etc. Those items probably contribute more to speed loss than drive train efficiency.

My biggest issue with the belt drive would be roadside repair...kind of hard to take out a broken link, adjust the wheel and keep on riding...and yes I have broken a link in a chain before.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon