Old 09-09-07, 07:03 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Carfree Cycling -- How to get started -- Noobs and lurkers please join in!!

I've been a carfree cyclist for several years, and it seems easy and natural to me now. But I vaguely remember that it wasn't always easy, and I could have used some help. (In fact, I sometimes still need help, and I've found that the people on this forum are good at providing it.)

That's the purpose of this thread--to start at the most basic level and provide some support and guidance to those who are new to carfree living, and/or new to cycling. No question is too simple for this thread! So, if you're wondering how to change gears on a bike, or how to signal a left turn, or where to park the thing while you go into a store, or anything else at all, this is a great place to ask.

I really hope to get some new members involved in this thread. Obviously, some new members have a need of information, and they are encouraged to ask questions on this thread. Less obvious, maybe, is the fact that novices are often most qualified to give advice to other noobs who are just slightly less experienced or knowledgeable than themselves. "Experts" often give advice that's too detailed or opinionated to be useful to the new carfree cyclist. Other newbies are likely to give advice on the level that's needed. In other words, someone who's been riding for a month is often able to give better advice than somebody with a PhD in bike-ology, since they're more aware of the problems faced by a true beginner.

So I hope many of the newbies and lurkers will get involved in this thread. I know a lot of you have questions that you might have thought were "stupid". Here's a place to ask those questions. Also, if you're new, here's a chance to answer some questions for the first time, and find out how rewarding it can be to help others on an internet forum. And of course our regular bike-ologists will also be getting involved, so don't worry about making a mistake.

If you've never posted on Bikeforums before, it's really quite simple. First follow the links to register, a process that takes less than a minute, usually, and is totally free. Then click on one of the buttons in the thread that has the word "Reply." Just type in your message and submit it.

"Think Outside the Cage"