Old 09-10-07, 10:42 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The post giving the history and evolution of Uncle Duke became so long that I never got around to describing the bike and how it did on its test ride.

Specs:
frame - 1980 Fuji S-12S. Lugged chromoly steel.
crank - original Sugino (labeled Fuji) 42/52 double.
pedals - Crank Bros. Smarty (eggbeater type).
frt & rear derailleurs - original Suntour VX (labeled Fuji).
brakes
- original Dia Compe "G". Kool Stop Continental Salmon pads.
wheels - custom, Torelli Master rims, 36 DT Competition DB spokes 3X, Phil Wood hubs (freewheel type rear).
tires - Kenda Kross, 700C X 40
freewheel - Shimano 7 speed Megarange, 13-34.
chain - KMC 7/8 speed
stem - Nitto Dirt Drop
handlebar - Nitto Randonneur
brake levers - Cane Creek
shifters - Suntour bar end friction (labeled Schwinn)
saddle - Brooks B17 Champion Special
frame pump - Zefal HpX 3

Not much unusual about the build. Surprised that the brake calipers had enough reach to handle the smaller diameter wheels. Surprised that the rear derailleur could handle the 34 tooth cog on the freewheel.
Knobs on rear tire rubbed the chainstays initially, so I filed them down to fit.

Offroad test ride:

Bartram Forest trails. sunny, mid 80s, dry.
I rode the 4 mile double track loop first. No problems. Long wheelbase , relaxed geometry and fat tires rode reasonably smooth. Felt the bumps, but they were not harsh. (steel is real[]) A little squirrelly in the loose sand, but only slightly more so than my MTB. Never felt like I was about to be dumped. Felt more secure in the drops than on the hoods on the bumpy sections and the turns and sand.
Never used more than the lowest 3 or 4 gears. The big jump from 24 to 34 teeth on the megarange freewheel meant I had to keep the speed up to stay in 2nd or slow down and spin in 1st. Could have used some in between on the grassy climb. Brakes nearly worthless. They only gently suggested slowing the bike. May go with something stiffer later.

Then I gave the singletrack section a try. The big wheels rolled over bumps pretty well. Only the roots really shook it up. Couldn't take those with much speed. Mostly used 2 gears. Low was low enough (42x34) that I could handle all the hills without too much strain, but would not mind lower gears. I would probably want a triple with 26/36/46 to ride here much. Also will switch to the Brooks Flyer saddle with springs to ride offroad. Not a terribly harsh ride, but springs would be better.

I took the side trail to the Vet cemetery. Handled the fast section through the woods and the dry creek crossing just fine. Had to stand to climb the hills, but not too hard. Again, lower gears would be welcome.

The bike was most at home on the flat, smooth sections around the pond. Felt very stable in the sweeping turns. I think it will be a great dirt road bike.

Pictures: