Old 09-12-07, 06:58 AM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never Buy a Tube Again!

No, this isn't an announcement of a new tire technology that will forever prevent flats. . .

Last Saturday, my brother and I went for a ride from New York City to Nyack, New York. The route is pretty popular with city cyclists, to the point where there's practically a traffic jam on the George Washington Bridge pedestrian/bike path early in the morning.

On the return trip, I noticed that there were at least a half-dozen discarded tubes on the ground and in a garbage can at the entrance to the bridge path.

Do that many people really throw out tubes when they get a flat? I could have picked up enough tubes there to last me for the next ten years, easily. I would have, except that my under-seat pack was pretty stuffed already, and there wasn't room for a tube.

When I get a flat, I replace the tube with the spare I carry, and patch the punctured tube when I get home. Of course, if I get more than one flat, I'll have to patch the next by the side of the road, but no big deal. Seems silly, wasteful, and environmentally destructive to simply discard a tube because it has a puncture.