View Single Post
Old 07-07-04, 07:02 PM
RWTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I just got back from a 6 day tour (5 nights stealth camping)up to Wauchula(on the Peace River).Did much riding on both remote roads and the dirt levees (around Lake Okeechobie and through the Everglades).Had so much fun and will try to do some kind of trip report.

But to answer you question humans are not on the food chain of many(if any)animals.Alligators,wild pigs ,poisonous snakes etc. will all head to safety on site of humans of course its smart for humans to do the same.I have heard small children and yapping dogs will draw alligators but otherwise they will do like the one in that report jump into the water and then scope the situation submerged except for their eyeballs.On this more recent trip I camped near the canal down from the levee that runs around Lake O and heard a few gators splashing during the night but they did not bother me .While alligators are not reportedly drawn into your camp by food smells(and that was my experience as well) other animals are and while most of the danger is to your food supply it is a good idea to hang your food bag from a tree away from camp or use a ursack if no suitable trees are available.Having said that some parts of no. Fl. have bears and they are drawn into camp by food smells and I have heard in some situations this can be dangerous to humans.The wild pigs I heard in the woods I will have to research more on but I saw another one this last trip and it took off running just like the one I saw on the previous trip.One situation you should definately try to avoid though is to not get between any mother animal and her young and also keep alert to avoid getting into a situation where you startle,corner or trap a wild animal(ie stepping on a poisonous snake is not smart).Just be alert use common sense and you will learn to enjoy rather than fear the wild kingdom(I still jump a mile though when I see poisonous snakes though lol)