Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
I have a decent AA LED light setup, but I am curious about Dynohubs after reading another thread. I am always trying to make my bike "perfect" . It would be awesome to not have to worry about plugging in the batteries when I get home, then loading them again before I leave. the battery lights would make a fine helmet light as an extra supplement. I just want to not worry about lighting. Harris lists a ready-built wheel for $175, and I would be willing to spend that (and more) to insure that I am always well lit this winter. I have several questions.

first, can these be used to power the lights I already have? I don't know squat about electricity. I have a 2xAA fenix that uses 3v. I have a 4xAA 5w DiNotte that uses 6v. From what I read, the Shimano hub output is 6v. Is it realistic to power the DiNotte with a generator hub?
It would work, but likely be rather dim at lower speeds. Worth a try if you're handy with a soldering iron and shrink tube. By the way, "Dynohub" is a Sturmey-Archer trademark. ;-) I prefer to call them "generator hubs."

If it isn't possible to wire a generator to my dinotte, I want to get a full featured light. the light setup on the Breezer Uptown and one of the lights on the Harris site say that they automatically switch on at dark and have a "stand light" that stays on while stopped (the "LT134 Lumotec Oval Plus Senso with Standlight"). I also like that it doesn't mount on the bars. I prefer not to have the everyday light mounted on the bars.
A lower mounting position casts potholes* and other road hazards into sharper relief, because of the shadows they cast.

See: http://sheldonbrown.org/raleigh-inte...l-nexus08.html

I looked at the busch and Muller site, and they list a new item called LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus. The oval model on the Harris site is rated at "17 lux". The LED IQ fly model advertises 40 lux. that is quite a difference. Does anyone know of a US retailer that sells this item? I tried Google with no luck. Can Harris order these? It wasn't on their special order page but I thought it might be too new.
I'm sure we can order these. Not familiar with that new model yet...

If I get this type of light setup, will the auto-on feature on the headlamp switch on the rear light also? What recommendations do you have for rear lights powered by the dyno hub? Is it silly to run hte rear light on the dyno?
I really do not recommend wired tail lights. Modern self-contained "blinkies" are so reliable, and so parsimonious of batteries that I consider them a much more reliable alternative to anything that involves running wires along the bike from front to rear.

Sheldon "Generator Front, Battery Rear" Brown