patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Sorry to say no. You will never be as fast as a 20-something with equal training experience and genetic potential. But so what? If you're getting into it to earn a place on a professional or national team, it's too late, and you might as well give it up. if you're doing it to gain some enjoyment and self-satisfaction then it realy doesn't matter what your time is.

And I'll let you in on something. As a promoter and official I can say this. We really don't care. How fast someone does or doesn't ride makes almost no difference to us. We're out there working almost the same time regardless of how fast anyone rides since it only depends on the last few starters and the difference is only a few minutes anyway. In fact, I'd rather see a first time junior riding and wait 10 extra minutes than have some senior who thinks he's doing us a favor by showing up finish a few minutes faster.
Right. So what? TT's on the amateur level are more like an amateur 5K or 10K race. How fast are you compared to those in your age group or to last year's time. At the last TT I did there were 215 participants (about). About 80 were slower than me, 135 were faster. How many were within spitting distance of the fastest men? 30 out of 215? Something like that. In other words 80% of the entrants had no prayer of winning their race. But they keep showing up.

If TT's were only for the Dr. W's of the world there would be 30 cyclists there on race day, not 200.