Old 09-18-07, 08:37 PM
adgrant

Bikes: Still researching

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjohnnytarr
Same old story. I think maybe bikes are never mentioned in these because riding bikes doesn't really generate any money for people outside of the bike-bubble. Whereas cars, public transit, etc. all make sure that money gets spread around. Know what I mean?
It may have more to do with the fact that for many commuters, a bike will never be a viable option. If you live an hour away from work by car, getting there by bike might be tough. Also most people aren't going to want to cycle to work in a New England winter or an Mississippi summer.

Cycling at night isn't always safe either. I used to commute to work by bike in the UK and it could get scary at times. Cycling works best were the distances aren't large and the weather is reasonable. Public transport is going to be a better alternative for most people assuming the mass transit schedules mesh with work schedules and the home and work locations are close to mass transit.

This is a bike forum but the majority of people living car free in the U.S. are probably living in a dense urban area with pedestrian friendly streets, great mass transit, convenient access to cabs and/or rental cars and most importantly; horrifically expensive parking. In places where the parking is cheap, you are probably going to find more car light than car free people.