Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Swift vs NWT page:
http://phred.org/~alex/bikes/bf-vs-swift.html

I've owned the following (in order):
* S&S coupled bike
* Swift Folder
* Bike Friday New World Tourist (NWT)
* Bike Friday Tikit

The S&S and Swift folder had similar packing times. Both required me to remove both wheels, split the frame, remove the cranks, fenders, rack. Both fit in their suitcase in exactly one way. Packing time was around an hour. My Swift Folder required me to remove the fork where the S&S bike required more protection (due to thinner and more dentable tubing).

My NWT required less disassembly and fit into the case more easily, so packing time was about 30 minutes. I had to remove the right crank, front wheel, fenders, rack. The rear wheel and fender could stay in place. The frame didn't need to be split.

My Tikit (which is unusual for having drop bars and a custom front rack) packs into the suitcase in about 15 minutes. I don't need to remove the cranks, worry as much about the handlebars, and everything folds and fits much more quickly.

The full size bike with S&S couplers had the best ride, the NWT was second. The Tikit rides well but I wouldn't want to tour on it for a month at a time (and it wasn't built for that). It's great for commuting, half day rides, that sort of thing. For my travel the Tikit is the best bike.

For fully loaded touring once a year I'd just fly with a full size bike and pay the penalties. I only travel once or twice a year, but the folding bike is worth it for day trips while my wife is doing something else. It's less hassle than renting or borrowing a bike and I know that the bike fits. I do use the folding around town too -- it is really handy when I'm riding to meet someone and know that I'll be driving home with them. I use it this way a couple of times a month.

alex

Last edited by awetmore; 09-19-07 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add opinions about travel