View Single Post
Old 09-21-07, 06:41 AM
flameburns623

Bikes: K-mart All-Pro brand road bike; Target cruising bike; Wal-Mart NEXT brand bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How big are 700 CM tires?

Hello!

Someone should've aborted the idiot who created the Metric system. So how big are 700 centimeter tires? I get the impression they are about 27 inchese but my tape measure shows me that 27 inches is about 69 centimeters--27-and-a-half inches is about 70 centimeters, BUT that's still off by a factor of ten. Unless I'm looking at really old-fashioned bikes, with seats several feet from the ground, somehting isn't quite right. From the photos I'm seeing, these are normal-sized bikes. So what's up? One web search seemed as if it suggested 700 centimeters was the WIDTH of the tires, but that would make the tires several FEET wide. Also seems improbable to say the least.

You know, for all the purported virtues of 'simplicity' with the metric system, the traditional measurments are usually much simpler: they were based, roughly, on anatomical or other familiar comparisons, and most folks could use fingers, arms, feet, etcetera to guestimate the approximate size of other objects. (No crude jokes, please).