Old 09-21-07, 09:00 AM
SoreFeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
tubular newbie...need help yes I read the archives but still confused

I'm going to order the cheapy yellow jersey tubulars because I can only afford them at the moment. I have only once practiced gluing a tire and it was very sloppy. I was using tubasti cement. I think I will order some Mastik because it seems more easy to apply.

Here is my impression of the general procedure...Coat the basetape with a light coat...wait 15-20 minutes for it to become tacky, also apply a coat on the rim until tacky to the touch (making sure that the edges of the rim are properly coated but not on the braking surface...

Wait patiently until the rim is tacky to the touch...apply a light second coat on rim/tire basetape and work the tire on the rim and inflate lightly to 40PSI straighten tire/pull down so presta is straight etc...etc...possible lightly roll the tire on ground to make it sit flush...

Am I close? I want to be clear that the best way to avoid a messy glue job is to let the glue become tacky to the touch but not fully dry. I followed the instructions on the tubasti cement tube and was left with a big mess.