View Single Post
Old 09-23-07, 07:36 PM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I hesitate to post this because I'm a retro grouch but...

I'm semi-interested in acquiring a Garman GPS thingie. I'd like one that I can use for driving directions in my car and which has a data base of maps for the US that I can use on the bike. Does such a thing even exist?
You'll like the Etrex. Mine is about a year old. It was the Etrex Vista CS. Don't know what iteration of that model is currently being sold. Mine appears to be very similar to the model in the link provided in the previous post.

The color screen makes reading in the sun very easy. Batteries seem to last forever - four AA's. Regular batteries, lithium AA's, or rechargeable AA's. All seem to work fine.

No voice with this model, but, it will beep, and the screen changes to show you a close up view of your upcoming turn - handy in freeway type situations, as you can see whether you are supposed to curl around a ramp and in which direction you should expect to curl.

I had to purchase the bike handlebar mount separately, but it is very stout. I've totalled one bike, and the Garmin didn't come off or otherwise get damaged (I didn't get damaged either, LOL).

Good luck.

Caruso