Old 09-26-07, 02:07 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by madopa
I got my first Brooks this summer. Like others mentioned I was a little hesitant to spend that kind of money on something that doesn't even look comfortable. I have to say I am now a believer so far. I'm 36 and 235 pounds. I've had several 45-65 mile trips on it without any pain or numbness. This weekend is the final test. I'm riding an MS150, doing a century on Saturday and 75 back on Sunday. If I'm pain free on Monday morning I'll be switching my other bikes over to Brooks saddles.
Not to be a smart-a**, but, that will be a heck of a week-end. When you say "...several 45-65 mile trips...", that's really not too far as Brooks go. Have you ridden over 60 miles, maybe back to back on consecutive days before? Be prepared for some discomfort, if you haven't ridden a century before. Even with several thousand miles on my oldest B17, there is still the issue of gravity, road shock and fatigue - which sets in at about 85 miles for me. I'm 51 and weight 235-240lbs. My typical century bikes are a Trek 520 or a lighter Sequoia Elite. Both are like soft riding sedans.

Just sayin' - Brooks saddles are very, very good for distance, which is what they excel at. But, you still have to grind it out, and every little item will show itself after 75 miles. Good luck, have fun, eat lots and rest lots.