View Single Post
Old 09-30-07, 01:29 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, no. I got lost because apparently my copy of the King County Bicycling Guidemap is outdated. There were streets on the map that weren't there when I pedaled to the locations, and vice-versa. Redmond just seemed like the "Seattle" version of Fairfax, Virginia to me. If you've ever heard what I have to say about Fairfax, it isn't nice

What happened was, I started off in Montlake, rode to the Burke-Gilman trail in the U-district of Seattle, and was figuring on going around Lake Washington. Then I ended up on the Sammamish River Trail and took that all the way to Redmond. I couldn't find the Velodrome, though Then I got lost trying to find a way south, but luckily I found a bus route that could take me back to my uncle's house

If anybody here was riding on either of those trails on the day I was riding, well, I was the guy on the black Giant OCR1 chanting, "Down, up, up, down" while trying to figure out which of my 4 STI shifter paddles did what. After that experience, I hate STI shifting, and I'll stick to bar-ends whenever I buy any new road bikes in the future, including the "Lance-wannabe" racing types. Thankfully, the triathlon bikes use bar-cons, too (I'm interested in doing Tri's, you see). Too much of my concentration had to go into figuring out which shifter did what that I didn't get to enjoy riding a bike as much.

I currently reside in a cul-de-sac pretty darn close to downtown Renton, about 5 minutes driving. I would ride around here, except that the big hill going up and down close to my uncle's house has insanely fast traffic. The posted speed limit is 35 MPH, but I know what 35 is like, because most of the roads I've ridden back in California were 35 MPH roads, and these cars go over the speed limit here for sure. I'm planning on moving out into a studio around Downtown Seattle once I find work around these parts. I'll take vibrant city life over boring, nothing to do suburbs every time I can.