View Single Post
Old 10-01-07, 02:41 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kipibenkipod
But what I don't understand is:
26'' rim is smaller, hens with 36 spokes is much tougher then 700 36h. You will need 700 40h in order to have somewhat of an equal tough wheel.
Now, my girlfriend will need 26'' frame and I will need 700 frame. I'm much heavier then her, thus much prone to breaking a spoke! Also, it is very reasonable that I will carry more weight on my panniers.
You have built frames for different sizes of wheels, why not built different wheel to different sizes?
Now if we don't take into account the weight issue, I still want equalize strong wheels on the 26'' and the 700 frame. Is this not a logic request?
Thanks
You can put whatever wheels you want on your touring bike. If you are buying a complete bike the manufacturer makes component decisions based on price, quality and suitability for purpose. If a 36H 700c wheel meets all their requirements they spec it as they did on the LHT. If when specing the 26" wheeled bikes a 36h wheels was best in terms of all the factors that what they would use to make the decision.

Your idea that they would try and make the 26" wheels exactly as strong as the 700c wheels doesn't make any sense. What you have to ask yourself is are the 700c 36h wheels strong enough for you? If they are great - stop worrying about it. If they aren't upgrade them.

Your looking for logic where there is none to be found. For all we know Surly found a killer deal on 36h 26" rims and decided to use them.