Old 10-02-07, 09:03 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
I'd point you to the Cohousing website as well.. they're DOING things like this!
That's an excellent link, thanks very much. I hadn't made the connection.

As I mentioned, Wooten Park Drive is a two block long stretch of nothing but old 4- and 8-plexes. The neighborhoods surrounding are in mostly a grid layout with wide, low traffic residential streets. There is excellent old style small-box urban retail nearby. The distances are just a bit longer than ideal for pedestrian living but absolutely perfect for bicycling. It's crawling with cyclists and there is good transit nearby, including a commuter rail line scheduled to begin operating next year. I think sufficient employment exists nearby and on the transit lines.
Wooten Park Drive is actually the northern extension of a street called Woodrow, which is very close to being a bicycle highway to north central Austin. Also, it runs parallel to the arterial Anderson Lane, which is lined by small-box retail.

Here's what could be done with Wooten Park Lane in a cohousing context. You could close it off to traffic and move all the existing parking to one or two lots in the middle of the strip. Turn Wooten Park Drive into an urban plaza with of course bike lanes and sidewalks. Connect the plaza in several places to the retail and parking facilities one block over, on Anderson Lane.

Aerial photo (Google Maps)

Last edited by Platy; 10-02-07 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Add link to aerial photo