View Single Post
Old 07-18-04, 06:14 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here's a thought... Hinault is a major player in the organization and marketing of the tour itself. As someone who has a keen interest in making sure that cycling fans remain intersted in watching this year's tour do you suspect that his assessment for this article was intentionally designed to create doubt to keep folks interested? After all, if Bernard Hinault says it's a slam dunk by Armstrong -- which is apparently what some of you thought he should have said -- why would anyone want to come out or tune-in to watch if the result is a foregone conclusion.

As for Lance's place in history, again, I think Hinault makes a correct characterization and I believe Lance himself has said the same.

Now, given that hindsight is 20/20, we can all sit in judgement of anyone's predictions for the major players in the tour and the outcome. But, flashback to July 2, who would have been able to predict Voeckler of the "Bakery Boys" being in Yellow for 9 stages or his phenominal efforts in the mountains to retain it. Who could have imagined the other big guns coming up as short as they seem to be thus far? How about that performance of Basso?

I'm sure glad I've stayed tuned-in with my eyes wide open. It's been a fascinating tour thus far... and it's on 2/3's complete. In fact, my biggest concern for Lance at the moment is some over zealous, moron fan causing Lance or riders next to him to crash or faulter or loose focus as a critical moment. Yesterday you had some idiot running along side who appeared to be slapping Lance on the back (although the camera angle could be deceiving), and then you have the wanna-be "cutters" who make a spectacle of themselves for the cameras -- like the longhorn helmet guy with the huge American Flag -- who fail to consider what happens if they get tripped and drop that flag & staff onto their idol. Enthusiasm is one thing, being stupid about it is another.