Old 10-05-07, 08:00 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronspoker
You're past this, but I feel compelled to say that you need to get your money back, including the cost of the ruined components. It sounds like the rim just wasn't tensioned nearly to what it should be. "Spokeprep" is a lubricant that set like a fixative. Don't ever let anyone tell you it is necessary except in abnormal circumstances. A properly tensioned wheel does not need locktite, spokeprep, or any other fixative. The builder was without question grossly negligent and incompetent, and its lucky that you did not get hurt.
Sometimes there are battles worth fighting and some not. This shop has been very good to me with everything except the wheel with breaks and steep discounts on parts and labor. Plus they're nonprofit and do a lot of good things for the community. I'm using this is a learning experience (especially the 'oh it didn't have locktite excuse ), reusing the hub and getting something out of this mess.

I know now that no, it wasn't tensioned right and I won't trust them with wheels. It IS nice taking an older bike into a shop for some work and not having the first thing they say is "you need a new bike."

It's the year of the enema!

Last edited by Air; 10-05-07 at 09:33 AM.