Thread: 475 lumens!
View Single Post
Old 10-06-07, 12:20 PM
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ceridwen
I have the MiNewt X2 dual as well and am very happy with it. I got it for ~$200 shipped from REI which seemed like a good price. Not as cheap as multiple flashlights maybe . . .
On the flashlight cost, if someone were to do a setup just like I have, it would be in the neighborhood of $200 for the cost of three Fenix L2D Premium 100 flashlights (after current Fenix-Store discounts), batteries for each, and a set of three mounts (two for handlebar, one for helmet). So costs seems to be about even.

Originally Posted by ceridwen
I can't imagine that headlamp weighs much less than the flashlight but I think the position of the battery pack at the back of the helmet distributes the weight better and makes it less of a problem. It might be worth considering as a budget option to add a helmet light.
Another nice helmet option is to consider a very short flashlight like the Fenix P2D, which uses only one CR123 battery or equivalent rechargeable. If that were smartly mounted, it would be a pretty small helmet add-on, have a great power-to-size/weight ratio, and be self contained (about a $60 add-on in terms of helmet light cost). For added run time, if needed, an extra battery can be carried along.

Note on weight of Fenix L2D Premium 100: Flashlight with batteries weighs about 116 grams. Flashlight, batteries, and TwoFish Lockblock mount weighs about 128 grams. Using a Bikeblock instead of a Lockblock bumps the total weigh up to 134 grams.