Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Been riding my Gran Tour

Originally Posted by brandenjs View Post
Very cool to hear that. There are a few of us out here. This is my first road bike so it has been cool to find out some background on the brand. I have'nt had any experience on a higher quality bike so this bike works very well for me,and I have'nt had any quality issues yet. I did the old bathroom scale weight on mine and it is around 23lbs. the way it is now...Jeff

I've been riding my Gran Tour - the rear wheel is probably un-truable but generally the bike rides pretty nice. On the bathroom scale it weighs about 28 lbs. but that is with Panaracer 700c-32 tires and Mr. Tuffy strips, the original chrome steel handlebars, reflectors and suicide brake levers. Remove some stuff and upgrade components and I can get the weight down in the 23-25 lb. range, I am sure.

I found the original receipt ($199.95) and very generic owner's manual. The headbadge on the bike says Allentown, PA but the manual has the company address in Rockaway Beach, NY. That all makes sense given the background that Andy Ross describes in his post.

The bike is good - 4130 CrMo tubing, friction shifters on the stem (those are museum relics now but the shifting is quick and smooth), and I am having some fun learning some basic maintenance and mechanics. The bike has 52-40 chain rings and 5-sprocket 14-28 freewheel, but the rear fork spacing is 126mm. That means I could fit a 7-speed freewheel for a quick upgrade. I have even toyed with the idea of spreading the frame to go up to 8 or 9 speeds, maybe putting on triple chain rings to climb these hills in northern California. I don't see a fancy new bike in my future so I expect I will end up with a bit of a Ross frankenbike eventually.

One of my kids outgrew the 20" bikes and is having fun riding the Walmart cheapie "mountain" bike I have ridden the last few years so we are riding together.

Keep riding those Ross bikes, folks. If you want more status, put Peugot or Bridgestone decals on it, most folks will never know the difference!