View Single Post
Old 10-10-07, 02:36 PM
bent-not-broken
back in the saddle

Bikes: Raleigh Olympian, Trek 400, 500, 1500, 6700, Madone 6.9, Sekai 2400, Schwinn Passage, KOM, Super Letour, Nishiki Sport, Vision R45, Bike E, Volae Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have commuted 5 miles each way through the last 2 central WI winters. I ride an old 21 speed GT mountain bike with Nashbar studded tires. I have expeienced the frozen freewheel, as well as iced up brakes and derailers, but I would not give up my ability to change gears. I would not want to deal with winter winds and sloppy roads on a single speed. I appreciate the lower top bar of the mt bike when I need to bail out in the sloppy snow. Winter commuting is a different kind of satisfaction than that summer road bike commute. There are many days I dread slogging along with those heavy tires, but I think about what a great work out I get.

I bought a set of 700c nashbar studded tires for my allweather commuter (21 speed flat bar touring) as an alternative to the mt bike and will see if that makes the going any easier. I know there are a lot of ss advocates but not I!

Bent

Last edited by bent-not-broken; 10-11-07 at 03:08 PM.