View Single Post
Old 10-11-07, 09:47 AM
GeoLes
Black La Lane

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aikidoka
Hi Folks,

Am seeking a more butt-friendly saddle for my new mount. There must be at least 2 million road saddles out there and I dont have it in me to surf/research this one. So best I come to my peers for experience and recommendations. Me:51, 160# on average, in darn good shape thank you... currently aluminum frame.

I'd prefer a lighter saddle (as light as possibly actually) that truly offers shock/vibration control.

many thanks

k
Assuming, of course that the other components of bike fit are okay, (seat height, etc), there may be some mis-match between your tush and the saddle. First, to disspell the myth (they should have sent this one to Myth Busters), softer is not always better. It may work for some cyclists, but generally saddle comfort is a function of saddle "sweet spot" to sit bone match. If you sit on a hard, flat surface while wearing cycing shorts, you can reach back and feel where your sitbones impact the hard surface. Mark the two spots and measure the distance between them. Match that number against the sweet spot on any saddle under consideration. I used that test and found that a narrow,flat, hard saddle was actually more comfortable for me. In fact, in many cases, the "cushy material" of saddle pads only worsens the postion by providing material to be crammed against the perinal nerve that runs along the groin area. Pressure on this nerve can cause numbness, pain, and even "loss of essential function" AKA Erectile Dysfunction (If you know what I mean).

I have been there with my new saddle on a multi day event. I was numb for months, before being able to "return to action".