Thread: Frame Life
View Single Post
Old 10-11-07, 05:55 PM
ultraman6970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a custom made columbus sl since 1987 maybe. No problems with him ever. And probably it will last long enough to be used by my kids in a few more years. So such a thing of a lifespan is so relative. For example years ago many italian bikes had failures in their tubes or lugs, since day 1 u knew the bike was going to last 2 or 4 years like for example atala's. A Miyata Dura ace i had (this model never came to the us) used to get craked in the middle of the BB after 6 months, all of them got the same issue so the solution was take the bike straight to a frame builder to get the BB reinforced, repaint and then the frame last forever, after more than 25 years a friend still have his. Alan's were famous for having issues in the their forks. Aluminum Vitus had similar issues and other related with bonding.

Now a days with carbon u can get lifetime warrantee from some brands but only a few brands deos that, for example Pinarello gives you 6 months i believe in their carbon frames, so no wonder why is hard to see Pinarello's moving around.

Thanks.