Old 10-12-07, 12:38 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Ack! Yeah, I did this, too, on my LeMond's front tire about a month ago.
Really cheesed me off but, yes, prestas do appear to be a bit "delicate"
I just rode on it until the pressure felt too low to ride on then I changed the tube. Put it off as long as I could, though.
I wish I could have done that. As soon as I removed the pump, we immediately heard a loud "PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........................" and watched the rear tire go flat right before our eyes. We assumed the valve flew off like a projectile so we looked around the room for about 10 minutes for a teeny tiny brass object until I finally looked into the bottom of the valve end of the pump and there it was, embedded at the bottom at an angle. It appeared stuck and Hubby had to dig it out with a tiny tool. ACK! I wasn't happy (to say the least), but I kept telling myself it's all part of being a cyclist and to just go with the flow when this stuff happens, roll with the punches, etc. Otherwise, I believe it's things like that which can turn off a newbie/returning cyclist and make 'em think it's all too much trouble -- putting on the cyling uniform, filling the water bottles, checking the tires, adding air, then PSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH and the evening ride goes away as fast as the air leaves the tires.