Old 10-15-07, 10:12 PM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were you and the pay was that good then I would consider moving. I know you like your current location, but there must be a nice place to live without a car that's a little closer. Once relocated I would take the train and ride the folder to work (down the big hill) to remain punctual and take the unreliable bus home (up the big hill). Sure the bus might cost me an extra hour going home if it makes me miss the train, but that's ok if we aren't talking 5 hours total. Who knows, the bus driver might be a little more punctual once he realizes someone is depending on him.

In the meantime you could try options 1 through 5 as part of a fun transportation experiment. You can still try to catch the bus home and if it stands you up you can explore the neighborhood a bit. See how far out of your way you have to go to circumnavigate that steep hill. See if there are any stores around the train station where you can buy fresh bread, or get a haircut, or whatever else you might need to do once a week or so when the bus fails to get you to your train on time. If it's so rural that there aren't any stores around then maybe leave some potted tomato plants around the bend to tend to. Whatever, I don't know, use your imagination.

Other than that the only thing I see missing from your options is the possibility of leaving something motorized locked up at the train station. Perhaps an electric bicycle, perhaps a larger scooter or motorcycle, or perhaps that car that you mentioned. I'm actually in the middle of discussing the idea of leaving a car at a suburban rail station for my wife's "reverse" commute. It kinda makes sense, as many suburban commuters leave beater cars at suburban rail stations while they work jobs in cities. It makes sense for you for many of the same reasons it makes sense for them: mileage is low (so gas/maintenance/wear/repair is cheap and emissions/danger are reduced) and you don't have to worry about urban parking/traffic. An advantage distinct for "reverse" commuters is that you get to have a car available for ocassions when you could use it (buying small furniture, accomodating friends from out of town who don't have monthly transit passes and might not be competent to cycle on city streets, etc). A disadvantage is that you have to pay full insurance on a car that's not used much.

Anywho, that's my 2c.

Last edited by makeinu; 10-15-07 at 10:27 PM.