View Single Post
Old 10-17-07, 09:07 AM
CSam49

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everybody. I'm recently retired, I live in New England and I'm looking to buy a new Trek 7200 Hybrid in the Spring of 2008. I've always rented bikes while on vacation, since I never knew there were decent places to ride around here. This year I borrowed a 1999 Trek 800 mountain bike and rode it all week on my vacation in Nantucket. I found it to be somewhat heavy, but a nice, sturdy bike. I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 225 lbs, so it wasn't big enough for me. I prefer to ride a 25" bike. I've had 2 lower back surgeries, so I need a bike that is more upright. I borrowed my brother's ancient Schwinn 10-speed (I don't know the model name) for 2 days of riding a month ago. We went 25 miles the first day and 30 miles the next day. He showed me some really well-groomed bike paths that I never knew about in this area (near Hartford, CT). They are former railroad lines. One is paved and the other has a hard-packed clay-like surface. I was able to ride both with his skinny-tired 10-speed, even though I was in great discomfort. I like to get a good workout and after those 2 rides, I vowed to never ride another 10-speed with the handlebars in the down position. My neck was so sore after each of those rides, that I couldn't hardly move it. I joined this forum to supplement my bike research with some testimonials of what works for different people in the biking community.